Gnocchi is an Italian type of pasta that is made of a combination of mashed potatoes, flour, and sometimes eggs or cheese. They are soft and slightly chewy. For a first attempt of making gnocchi, it may backfire seriously!! Believe me. A number of people I have talked to say that their first try was horrendous.
To know if your gnocchi is perfectly cooked, when you boil it, it rises to the surface of the water. Gnocchi can be made with so many different sauces. You just have to find the one that suits you best. The tomato sauce is quite a classic touch to this Italian recipe.
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 4 large Potatoes
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 4 tbsp Fresh Fri Garlic Oil
- Dhania Stalks
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Green Pepper
- 1 tsp Coconut Cream
- Dhania Leaves
- Boil the potatoes with their skin for 15 minutes.
- Run cold water on the potatoes to cool them down then peel the skin off.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Add the egg and mix it well with the mashed potatoes.
- Add flour and mix it with the potatoes a bit before kneading.
- Dust the counter and knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Form a cylindrical shape with the dough.
- Dust the dough again and cut 1/5th of the piece.
- Roll out the chunk and cut out small pieces of the dough.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the dough.
- Poke the cut pieces with your finger. ( It's a method of shaping the gnocchi )
- Boil salt water and add the gnocchi in batches to prevent them from sticking together.
- To know if the gnocchi is ready, it will float on the water. It takes roughly one minute for it to cook. Take it out and set aside.
- Fry the onions and dhania stalks until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and bring it to a simmer.
- Add the spices.
- Add the Worcestershire and Soy sauce.
- Let it simmer for 2 minutes
- Add chopped green pepper and coconut cream.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the gnocchi to the sauce and coat evenly.
- Garnish with dhania leaves. Serve.